How we respect privacy when we deal with personal information collected by our organisation
1. Personal data that we process The following table explains the types of data we collect and the legal basis, under current data protection legislation, on which this data is processed.
|Purpose||Data (key elements)||Basis|
|Enquiring about our organisation and its work||Name, email, message||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to read and store your message so that we can respond in the way that you would expect|
|Subscribing to email updates about our work||Name, email||Consent – you have given your active consent.|
|Making a donation||Name, email, address, payment information||Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfill your intention of donating money and your expectation of receiving a confirmation message.|
|Signing up as a member(200 club, lifetime member, annual member, sponsor a kennel, sponsor a dog)||Name, email||Contract – by paying your membership fees you have entered into a contractual relationship with us as set out in our membership terms and conditions.|
|Website functionality||Website activity collected through cookies||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to store a small amount of information, usually through cookies, to deliver functionality that you would expect, such as remembering the contents of your order before you have fully completed the process.|
|Adopting an animal||Name, email, address||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to read and store your information so that we can keep track of the animal that you have adopted from us.|
|Volunteering at the rescue||Name, email, address, telephone number, medical, next of kin,||Legitimate interest – it is necessary for us to read and store your information so that we can keep in contact with you while your are volunteering with us.|
|Events attendees||Name, email, telephone number||Consent – you have given your active consent.|
- How we use your data We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected, as set out in the table at the top of this policy. For example, we may use your personal information to: reply to enquiries you send to us; handle donations or other transactions that you initiate; where you have specifically agreed to this, send you marketing communications by email relating to our work which we think may be of interest to you.
- When we share your data We will only pass your data to third parties in the following circumstances: you have provided your explicit consent for us to pass data to a named third party. When adopting an animal from us, we do pass your details on to Petplan to activate your 4 weeks free petplan insurance.
- How long we keep your data We take the principles of data minimisation and removal seriously and have internal policies in place to ensure that we only ever ask for the minimum amount of data for the associated purpose and delete that data promptly once it is no longer required. Where data is collected on the basis of consent, we will seek renewal of consent at least every three years. When an animal is adopted from the rescue, we will hold your details on file during the lifetime of the animal. Once the animal has passed away, please ensure that you notify us if you want your details removed from our database.
- Rights you have over your data You have a range of rights over your data, which include the following: Where data processing is based on consent, you may revoke this consent at any time and we will make it as easy as possible for you to do this (for example by putting ‘unsubscribe’ links at the bottom of all our marketing emails). You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information. You have the right of access to your information. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed. A full summary of your legal rights over your data can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here: https://ico.org.uk/ If you would like to access the rights listed above, or any other legal rights you have over your data under current legislation, please get in touch with us. Please note that relying on some of these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, where possible we will always try to allow the maximum access to your rights while continuing to deliver as many services to you as possible.